I found this recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP website – which I pretty much love. There are tons of delicious, healthy recipe ideas on it that I am constantly eyeing. Unfortunately I haven’t tried too many as sometimes the ingredients are very specialised. But I saw this Miso Root Salad and was immediately drawn to both the parsnips and miso paste – two ingredients that I do not often experiment with while cooking but that did not seem too intimidating. Indeed, the recipe was extremely simple to make (after having gone to a health store to buy the miso paste) and very tasty. The root veggies were colorful and perfect for the cold winter. I think I’ll be visiting this recipe again in the near future!
Balsamic Miso Root Salad (Gwyneth Paltrow – GOOP)
- Mixed root vegetables: baby carrots and parsnips (about 2 pounds)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp yellow miso
1. Peel the carrots and parsnips. Leave them whole if they are all the same size – if not, chop the larger veggies to equal the size of the smaller ones.
2. Place veggies onto a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Place in a 400F (200 C) degree oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, shaking them periodically for even cooking. Remove from oven when soft, slightly brown and caramelized.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place all the ingredients aside from the oil in a mixing bowl. Drizzle in the oil while whisking to combine. Season to taste.
4. Plate veggies with dark, leafy winter greens of choice and drizzle dressing generously over top.