I am a huge fan of all things lemon, especially in the spring time. Lemon is such a bright and fresh flavour, and it works great as a baking accessory in loafs and muffins. I got this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf from my mom in Colorado, who in turn found it on a really great blog – sweetpeaskitchen.com. It is simple to make and delicious – tangy from lemon zest and sweet from a lemon glaze over the top. It is perfect to serve for breakfast or dessert!
Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease bottom and sides of 9×5 loaf pan, dust with flour, tap out excess flour.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In another bowl whisk together:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (from approx 2 large lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Fold in blueberries.
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed, dry with paper towel
- Toss berries with 1 tablespoon flour before folding them into batter. (This helps prevent them from bleeding into the batter.)
Pour batter into pan and bake 50-55 min.
Cool in pan for 10 min, then remove from pan, put on plate or something to catch syrup drippings.
Use a toothpick to poke holes in the top and sides. Brush the top and sides with lemon syrup. Let the syrup soak into the bread, then brush again.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Heat on stove until sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook 3 more min.
When completely cooled top the loaf with lemon glaze, let drip down sides.
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice.