I like these bars a lot because of the crispy crunch from the rice crispy cereal. They’re very similar to another bar I’ve made, Quinoa Berry Health Bars, (and indeed use a lot of the same ingredients), although the crispy cereal in the Rice and Oat Crispy Bars really adds a nice texture and satisfying crunch to it.
These bars make for a good breakfast or snack and are filled with healthy oats and protein from nut butter. They can be easily frozen to last longer but will stay good if stored in an air tight container for up to one week. Enjoy!
- 1 3/4 c oats (rolled or quick cooking)
- 1 3/4 c puffed rice cereal (can be gluten-free)
- 1/4 c ground flax seed
- 1/2 c honey or agave or both
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 natural peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1 t vanilla
Can also add:
- 1/2 c raisins or other dried fruit
- 1/4 c mini chocolate chips (put in freezer for 30 min before mixing in to prevent melting)
- 1/2 c chopped nuts or seeds
Lightly grease 11 x 7 inch pan.
In a large mixing bowl combine cereal, oats, and flax.
Combine honey/agave and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla.
Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix well until combined. If adding any additional ingredients, do so now.
Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press mixture down evenly.
Put in refrigerator for an hour to set up.
Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into desired size bars.